Learning Boat Deck Measurement
This page provides a starting point, and enough training material, to learn how to use the PhotoModeler software and it’s target systems for doing boat deck measurement without the use of physical templates.
We strongly recommend that when first learning this procedure you watch and then follow the steps of this first video, using your own photos. Do not try your first PhotoModeler project on a boat – simulate the project instead, as the video depicts. The document is a quick review of laying down targets and taking photos.
Once you have duplicated the learning exercise above, you can study further with these videos and the document:
- How to do On-Site Setup for Boat Deck Measurement [3:29]
- Modeling Boat Decks from Photos in PhotoModeler [14:45] <**
- Modeling Flat Panels – Detailed Methods and Advanced Topics
<** note in this video at timestamp 6:25, the Preferences dialog is shown with a method for further automating the set up of scales, coordinate system, and planes using Coded Target Presets. In the latest software, this facility has been moved to a new tool. Please see PhotoModeler’s Coded Target Presets.
- A camera (see note below)
- PhotoModeler Standard ($995 usd for the permanent standalone license, monthly subscription available)
- Targets (preferably the Letter Sheets)
- A method of scaling (included with Letter Sheets, but optionally a tape measure or yard/meter stick)
- Optional selfie-stick or monopod for higher photo shots
A note on cameras: Almost any camera can be used to carry out this method but we recommend a good quality and high-resolution camera (and preferably with a fixed, prime (non-zoom) lens). You can use a mobile phone, a point-n-shoot, a mirrorless, or a DSLR camera. One note on mobile phone cameras – they don’t all work as easily. Some of the newer mobile phone cameras can modify the images making photogrammetry difficult. You can experiment with the demo version of PhotoModeler to test your equipment.
Where to get help
As a PhotoModeler customer (or evaluating customer), please do not hesitate to contact the PhotoModeler Support department at email@example.com to ask questions or get help with any issue. The support team will help you get going!
Additional video resources
After you have reviewed the material above, if you want more details and background see these videos::
- Coded Target tutorial. Shows the basic steps of using Coded Targets in PhotoModeler.
- Camera Calibration tutorial. Shows how to calibrate your camera when you are ready for higher accuracy.
- The sink video. Shows using targets, surfaces, and surface draw which is a process very similar to outlining deck regions. The associated article.
- Printing coded targets. Shows a tip video on how to create targets in the PhotoModeler software if not using Letter Sheets.
- Scale / Rotate / Translate tutorial. Shows how to scale projects and set up correct rotations for CAD export.