How to Measure Marine Canvas with a Camera
Replace physical canvas templating with digital templating by using your camera.
‣ Place targets and dot tape on the boat in key areas
‣ Take photos from different angles and positions.
‣ Load photos into the PhotoModeler software and process.
‣ Pick out additional points and model the canvas frames and tubes in 3D on the photos.
‣ Export to CAD/CAM to complete your work.
There are a number of ways to approach canvas measurement with a camera. This also depends on the end goal - a loose cover vs an accurate bimini or dodger/sprayhood. We suggest customers have a good CAD background and some experience with digital workflows. To receive a document on how to measure marine canvas please submit the following form:
Example Canvas Projects
Here are three examples of boat canvas covers done from photography with PhotoModeler. This demonstrates the potential. These projects are courtesy of Dustom Sails.