PhotoModeler Scanner provides the tools for you to create accurate, high quality 3D models and measurements from photographs. The process is called photo-based 3D scanning.
PhotoModeler Scanner is a 3D scanner that provides results similar to a 3D laser scanner. This 3D scanning process produces a dense point cloud (Dense Surface Modeling, DSM) from photographs of textured surfaces of virtually any size.
The PhotoModeler Scanner software has all the capabilities of the base PhotoModeler product plus the capability to do Dense Surface Modeling (DSM), 3D scanning and SmartMatch. See the chart on the product overview page for a quick comparison of the products.
PhotoModeler Scanner is a sophisticated tool to build accurate Dense Surface Models and get measurements from your photos. Use PhotoModeler Scanner to build:
- Dense Surface Models where a large number of 3D points are needed.
- Models that traditionally would require a 3D laser scanner
- Scale-independent object modeling - model small objects or big scenes
- Perform measurements over time with the Motion capability.
PhotoModeler Scanner is widely used in these areas:
Surveying, Construction, Mining, Geology
Forensics, Biology, Medicine
Films, Gaming, Animation
PhotoModeler Scanner's main features
- SmartMatch: Automatic feature detection and matching. Use SmartMatch generate a low density point cloud, and to orient your photos.
- DSM: Produces dense point clouds and detailed triangulated surfaces of textured objects in photographs without the use of a laser, projected light, or targets.
- Motion. Produce data tracking changes over time.
PhotoModeler Scanner also comes with the Idealize capability used for back-plate matching in gaming and film.
...and it includes all of PhotoModeler's main features:
- Easy to Use and Learn: Includes an advanced Windows user interface, Wizards for easy project set-up, extensive multimedia tutorials (over 4 hours playing time!), printed user guide, and extensive on-line help.
- Modeling Tools: Create models using PhotoModeler's Point, Line, Curve, Edge, Cylinder, and Shape marking tools.
- Surface Tools: Add surfaces to features defined by Points, Lines, Curves, and Edges. Create NURBS Surfaces from Lines, Edges, and Curves.
- Photo-textures: Add photo-textures and colors to surfaces. Export textures with 3DS, OBJ, VRML, and 3DM.
- 3D Viewer: View, measure, select objects, and interactively rotate the created 3D models with full photo-textures.
- Measurement Tools: Perform point, distance, length and area measurements right within PhotoModeler.
- Coded Targets: Automate the setup (initial marking and referencing) of the project, or the extraction 3D data points using targets with a special code ring that the software recognizes in the images. See Automation and Coded Targets.
- Scale/Rotate/Translate: This feature provides you the ability to apply proper scale to your project and set your model in the proper coordinate system for exporting.
- Export Capabilities: Export your model to Autodesk DXF (2D and 3D), 3D Studio 3DS, Wavefront OBJ, VRML (1&2), IGES, OpenNURBS/Rhino, StereoLithography STL, RAW, Maya Script, Max Script, FBX, and Google Earth’s KML and KMZ. See the Exports page.
- Import Capabilities: Import 3D data for use as control points, affine (coordinate systems), mesh comparison, or photo projection. See Export / Imports page.
- Photograph Handling: Work with any number of photographs, add new photographs at any time, and import many different image formats. * Image Control: Use extensive Zoom Tools for accurate sub-pixel marking, Photo Rotate for easier viewing, and Image Enhancement for increased visibility.
- Camera Support: Use images from digital, film, or video cameras. Automatic Camera Orientation determines the position of the camera when the image was taken. Use different cameras in the same project.
- Camera Calibrator: Accurately measure your camera's focal length, principal point, digitizing aspect ratio and lens distortion.
- Photo-Projections: Check project quality by projecting 3D data onto your photos.
- Customizable Interface: Control the layout and appearance of your PhotoModeler screen. Customizable items include toolbars, short cut keys, and colors for items such as 3D objects, Projections, and the 3D Viewer.